Straight to the point, I log onto my profile to get some info on a club. You know the one I froze? The BGC one... lol. I see my messages are stacked up, as I've left them. I go through the messages and I see a familiar face and he asks when I wanted to chill again. I cooked for him and watched movies and played video games and it ended hot and steamy. He dipped off doin whatever his life called for. I called and messages all for like 2 days. I stopped. i called like a week later and I got "dis is wong numba" from someone lady on the other end. She prolly was one of those ladies with a wonton that sees life in wide screen! I hung up and here is this message left more thank 2 months after the fact and he wants to chill. I told him "when you act like you wanna chill we can chill, you got the number!" He called me mean and I told him if you wanted to see me I woulda seen you already. Have a nice life. He asked for my number right before I was about to log off. He said he changed phones and it didn't come over. Does he think I am some stewpit bitch? If you indeed got a new phone (if its not a G1 blackberry or sidekick), and didn't delete my number like I am assuming you did, those phone numbers aren't going to magically appear in your new phone. you have to place them in there! I wasn't born yesterday! Dammit, I was born last week!
Twin and I are having a conversation on the phone about the word "texted" and "texting". (I feel my stomach turning) When in hell did the powers that be that rule over the currently well influenced Americanized version of the English language add these words to the dictionary? I remember I was having a heated discussion with my students about this and used many online dictionaries for reinforcement to prove that these are improper words. I checked on this past Saturday and guess what the hell I found in the G@* D@m& dictionary? These good for nothing peoples that be saw it fit to add these ridiculous words to our language! You are giving a half illiterate generation excuses for terrible vernacular! I just don't get it. No, I mean I really don't get it! I'm not accepting the change, that's all there is to it!
This has been my piece for Sunday. Off to do more cleaning and eventually head over to a brunch or something. I might see Eric today, idk. I'm at that part where the infatuation is fading and the newness is leaving. Now I am dealing with what i see before me in clear judgement. We'll see how things go. By the way, when I did spell check of this post, can you guess which two words were highlighted? I'll give you a clue, it starts with a "T"!
Just Keep Wondering...
Twin and I are having a conversation on the phone about the word "texted" and "texting". (I feel my stomach turning) When in hell did the powers that be that rule over the currently well influenced Americanized version of the English language add these words to the dictionary? I remember I was having a heated discussion with my students about this and used many online dictionaries for reinforcement to prove that these are improper words. I checked on this past Saturday and guess what the hell I found in the G@* D@m& dictionary? These good for nothing peoples that be saw it fit to add these ridiculous words to our language! You are giving a half illiterate generation excuses for terrible vernacular! I just don't get it. No, I mean I really don't get it! I'm not accepting the change, that's all there is to it!
This has been my piece for Sunday. Off to do more cleaning and eventually head over to a brunch or something. I might see Eric today, idk. I'm at that part where the infatuation is fading and the newness is leaving. Now I am dealing with what i see before me in clear judgement. We'll see how things go. By the way, when I did spell check of this post, can you guess which two words were highlighted? I'll give you a clue, it starts with a "T"!
Just Keep Wondering...
9 thoughts:
Glad you told that guy from BGC off...
Its off to Boarding School for you! Why young man you are getting besides yourself. Seriously I'm pleased that you stand your ground and that you recognize foolery.
Give it up. The word police thing that is since I'm not talking about anything else. As a teacher you should know that English is a living language that moves and grows in different directions at different times for sometimes different people.
I used to hate the word "De-plane". To me de-plane was what Tattoo said every week on Fantasy Island and not another word for disembark. But it's in the dictionary which means there's a whole lot of people using it and I'm too young to fight society over one word. BTW are you old enough to remember Fantasy Island?
Anyway, all I'm trying to say is that fighting against words and how they are used is like fighting against City Hall, you'll never win.
Well I read this post when you first submitted it and I wasn't sure I was gonna respond. But in my daily recap of my favorite blogs (also to check the comments and responses) one response caught my eye...(Curious said...)
As a former high school teacher I truly understand Fuzzy's point. We teach in a predominantly BLACK institution and we see the already LARGE educational gap between US (not including me because my parents WERE NOT! having it) everybody else. So by accepting the bad English and "made up" words we are letting our kids know that it is okay to FOREVER be the dumb black minority, SO GET COMFORTABLE. I can guarantee you bad English is NOT used in THEIR house; or safer to say its understood when and where to use GOOD/PROPER English.
My issue lies with the americanized version of English being so easily influenced. New English, or even Old english was never so influenced and still is not. It goes to show that yet again Americans are too yeilding. I dont appreciate the fact it was added because so many people use it! What next? Iming? Everybody uses that too? the improper word means to send instant messages. Why isn't that a word? That was around before texting was the latest craze!
~Feenix~ I probably didn't make myself clear and I apologize for that. What I meant to do was not encourage bad English but recognize that the language has changed and has been changing since the Normans conquered the Anglo-Saxons in 1066 and will continue to change. Not to accept that is like trying to keep the tide from coming in and very few of us can hold that back.
fuzzy, the whole purpose of having a language is that we can communicate with each other. If there is a word that conveys whatever idea there is that you want to convey and that everyone understands, then why shouldn't that word be a legitimate word regardless of where or when it was originally conceived?
That I believe is what makes English the most beautiful language in the world, not that I know any other that well, but the ebb and flow and the way that people can play with it in order to give you a deeper understanding of what's going on just makes it so interesting.
Well in that case "Curious" how can I disagree! So eloquently put...guess your parents weren't having it either huh?
But since we are on education, sorta, let me share this with yall.
My sister is also a teacher and the other day she asked the class how many cents were in a dollar...The first response was 4 cents. I was appalled at first but after careful thought I realized he might have been thinking 4 coins, as in quarters, confusing them with cents.
The home education and public education is severly lacking. I knew what a quarter was before I was in school! I knew my phone number, my name and my parents name. My address. How to dial on a phone and how to count money all before kidnergarden! Those skills were'nt considered to make you seem like a smart kid, but only the basics that you should know in case something should happen! My mom used to always say we livin in the last days and times are unpredictable! Lol she is right you know!
But back to my comment! What grade was this feenix?
I believe it is 5th grade Fuzz
Post a Comment