I never thought that I'd be writing this post about my brother, Darnell. I always talk about my oldest brother from my mom, Patrick, but never speak of my next oldest brother. He's 31 years old. He was born with a mental disability. Not a major one but he was just a lil slow at learning. Took him awhile to write and read but he learned. Took him awhile to gain street smarts but he did. He was just a bit slower than everyone else.
Patrick and I always thought that I would find a wife before he would. Find a successful career before he would. Even down to starting a family before he would. As time goes on, he's finished before me. He has many of the things I want. A wife, (companion, lover or life partner respects to me), a job making enough to support him and his family, and as of yesterday, I found out that he is having his first biological baby. I was happy for him when he told me, But I just couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that he was doing everything that I wanted to do. Getting everything I wanted to have. I'm just in my apartment expressing to unknown readers my jealousy.
As often as a particular friend of mine tells me to never give up on my dreams. He tells me that they are just on their way. i try to be patient but that feeling of inadequacy is overwhelming at times. That feeling of a nobody comes up at times. That empty feeling takes a seat and I have trouble ushering her out the door. I want like everybody else wants. I need like everybody else needs. I could be so focused on me that I fail to see that I am just like so many other people and belong to a sea of like minnows. In my eyes I'm the only fish in my sea of despair.
I'm jealous of my brother. I'm happy for him at the same time. I'm dealing wit this at the wrong time of year. Dayum... I wish it was springtime already!
Just Keep Wondering...
Patrick and I always thought that I would find a wife before he would. Find a successful career before he would. Even down to starting a family before he would. As time goes on, he's finished before me. He has many of the things I want. A wife, (companion, lover or life partner respects to me), a job making enough to support him and his family, and as of yesterday, I found out that he is having his first biological baby. I was happy for him when he told me, But I just couldn't wrap my mind around the idea that he was doing everything that I wanted to do. Getting everything I wanted to have. I'm just in my apartment expressing to unknown readers my jealousy.
As often as a particular friend of mine tells me to never give up on my dreams. He tells me that they are just on their way. i try to be patient but that feeling of inadequacy is overwhelming at times. That feeling of a nobody comes up at times. That empty feeling takes a seat and I have trouble ushering her out the door. I want like everybody else wants. I need like everybody else needs. I could be so focused on me that I fail to see that I am just like so many other people and belong to a sea of like minnows. In my eyes I'm the only fish in my sea of despair.
I'm jealous of my brother. I'm happy for him at the same time. I'm dealing wit this at the wrong time of year. Dayum... I wish it was springtime already!
Just Keep Wondering...
6 thoughts:
Have you ever considered that maybe everything wont really fall into place until after your 20s?
;-)
Two questions:
If it were springtime would you really feel any better about the thoughts you're having?
And have you ever thought that life really isn't about the race that you are having with others but rather the journey you are having with yourself?
Make a list of all the things you have that others would die for.
You have many things to be grateful for, and I wish you could see them. I live in a country where you are killed for no reason, you have a degree but you can't find a job to pay your rent, the list can go on.
Your brother has accomplished all of these but does he have real happiness. I hope you will be happy with what you have.
Love Corve
always remember everything isnt
as it appears....be joyful for
all blessings ,but cautious of
happiness....for it may be
shortlived.....in a fortune cookie
I got the other day. manchild
Clear your heart and mind everything will be just fine. Keep the faith.
Wow. I think you have very good, reachable dreams. The fact that he's slower, as you put it, doesn't change the fact that he's older. Compare yourself to when he was your age. It's all about time ... and the things you want about timing. And, as life would have it, it's all in God's time anyway.
I hope you can genuinely be happy for your brother and maybe even enjoy a vicarious thrill about it ... that's a great place to channel your energy, I think.
Besides, this time next year he's going to be so fucking exhausted, and up to his navel in dirty diapers and there's always that to look forward to ...
Post a Comment